Sunday, April 24, 2011

Reflections on ENVS1100: Nature and Society

This blog exists because of ENVS1100: Nature and Society, a course I'm taking. And now this course is coming to an end (although the blog won't be). I have definitely enjoyed the class. It was challenging, but nearly all of the work done was incredibly intellectually stimulating, both on individual case studies and big-picture conceptual material. (My only real qualm was with Silent Spring. It is definitely important in the fact that it brought to light environmental degradation in a time when that was basically not considered at all, but the writing style is, in my opinion, quite boring.)

The course also allowed me to embrace vegetarianism, something I probably would not have had the will to do otherwise. And as my previous posts will reiterate, that experience has stuck with me and has allowed me to prove to myself that I can take on a more environmentally sustainable lifestyle. I also thoroughly enjoyed discussing environmental, political, and societal issues with my fellow students in class. Moreover, it was great to be able to connect with them on the camping trip.

While I was already environmentally conscious before taking this course, it did show me that there are people working at environmental and sustainability problems. There are intelligent and motivated individuals and groups who care about humanity's impact on the world around us.

Photo: space.com

No comments:

Post a Comment